A leading manufacturer of Oil & Gas Pipeline investigation gauge in US and Canada
Project scope / Business Need
Design and development of Magnetic Flux Leakage PIG electronics, PCB Design, FPGA RTL,
Firmware and Host PC APIs for their next generation PIG
Avench System’s solution
Overview of MFL PIG
Pipeline Investigation gauges are devices that are inserted into pipelines and travel throughout the
length of a pipeline driven by a product flow. PIGs are designed to record conditions, such as dents,
wrinkles, ovality, bend radius, angle, and occasionally indications of significant internal corrosion by
making measurements of the inside surface of the pipe.
Design and Development
The Master Board controls the entire functionality of the system and will perform the following tasks:
• Data download and tool configuration through USB3.0 link.
• Battery voltage monitoring
• Orientation sensors (Accelerometer, Gyro)
• Odometer Inputs
• Real-time clock
• Data transfer to the memory module
• Data acquisition from different sensor boards and store the data into a solid-state storage device.
• FPGA based fault monitor and isolator for sensor boards
• Can protect the system from the physical failure of a Shoe-board causing over-current or short
• Sensor Board Power management for optimal power usage
• High speed LVDS signaling for sensors
• Customizable based on the number of sensor boards
SD card based storage board can support up-to 2TByte capacity.
• 2 x SD CARDs
• 2 x Micro SD Cards
• Raw storage for maximum performance
• Can support, SD, SDXC cards
• Uses Shock tolerant SD cards connectors for use in high mechanical shock environments.
• FPGA based design
• Data Acquisition of MFL sensors, Temperature and ID/ OD defects.
• LVDS communication link
• Max 24ch Analog to digital converters in a single board
• Sensor board is designed to support a number of hall sensors and will vary according to tool
• High-Density PCB design
The design stage involved the following tasks:
• SOC based (FPGA and ARM processor) System Design
• Analog and Mixed-signal design of Sensor boards
• Power constrained design for battery operation
• Custom IP design and integration
• FPGA prototyping
• Firmware development
• Board design and manufacturing
• Board bring-up and Testing